SERVICES > Fire Department > Fire Prevention > Fire Places
Wood Stoves & Fire Place Safety
DO NOT MAKE A FIRE THAT IS TOO LARGE FOR YOUR FIREPLACE OR WOOD STOVE.
Ø Read all instructions and manuals thoroughly to assure you know how to properly operate and maintain your stove.
Ø Burn seasoned wood with less than a 20% moisture.
Ø Dryer wood burns cleaner than green wood.
Ø Dispose of wood stove ashes into a metal container until cold.
Ø Make sure the fire gets enough air to burn properly.
Ø Close the damper when the fire is out to keep the warm air inside.
Ø You should have your chimney cleaned annually, or if used extensively it should be cleaned more often.
Ø Chimney fires can be prevented by a regular maintenance program.
Ø When creosote builds up it may cause a fire. Clean your chimney regularly.
Ø Keep fire wood stacked and covered to keep it is as dry as possible.
Ø The larger the fire, the greater the heat. Radiant heat could start your home furnishings on fire and cause damage to your fireplace that may be life threatening.
Ø Have your chimney inspected for cracking and deterioration and repair any loose mortar or bricks before using it. Ensure there are no loose or leaking pipes.
Ø Carbon Monoxide is odorless, colourless and fatal.
Ø When using commercial fire logs read, and follow the instructions carefully.
Ø Burn one log at a time as these products are designed to produce heat.
Ø Most logs are not meant for enclosed fireplaces. They may produce too much heat.
Statistically, central heating systems are less likely to cause fire, but neglect can increase the risk to your home and family.
Special consideration must be given to portable/space heaters and other such heating appliances. A toy sitting to close to one could start to melt, or reach its combustion temperature starting a fire.
Have your furnace, fireplaces, chimneys, and chimney connections inspected and serviced annually by a qualified professional.
Never store combustible or flammable materials near any heat source like a furnace, and be sure that your fire place is in compliance with fire-safety codes.
Never allow anything to lean up against a furnace or fireplace. Conduction may occur, causing a fire.